aka jetison

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Too Rolling Stoned


Well, it seems as if Mr. Dylan does not share the fascination with technology (at least as it applies to the recording industry) that some of us do.

I'll defer to his expertise in the matter - to a point, based on his accrued accomplishments, his level of knowledge, his technical expertise, and my respect for him as an artist. I take a less extreme stance because as a music enthusiast I want to remain open to new artistic experiences and that commitment involves buying, listening to, and some measure of acceptance of the CD medium.

I thoroughly agree that some musical accomplishments, Brian Wilson / Good Vibrations, the Beatles, Phil Spector, etc. can't be duplicated regardless of modern technology. It's amazing what they produced with the primitive tools available. I can't imagine Robert Johnson being recorded in modern times and having the same emotional impact.

Most of us do what we can with what we're given, try our best, and fall somewhat short a lot of the time. I think its always a good idea to challenge the status quo in the interest of finding a better artistic result and Mr. Dylan has always been very much about doing just that.

As for CD's - As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm not sure I have enough room for much more "stature" !

I anxiously await Mr. D's new CD.


Excerpts from latest Rolling Stone interview:

"Brian Wilson, he made all his records with four tracks, but you couldn't make his records if you had a hundred tracks today... You do the best you can, you fight that technology in all kinds of ways..."

"You listen to these modern records...There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like -- static."

"CDs are small. There's no stature to it."

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home