aka jetison

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Houston, We Have A Winner !




N.A.S.A. - The Spirit Of Apollo

This project unexpectedly came to my attention on a sampler disk I received from Paste magazine, and admittedly caught my attention because the track featured Tom Waits. While it's fun to pick up the latest CD from your favorite artist and revel in the intimacy of familiarity, for me part of the real joy of music is finding something totally new and foreign that takes me somewhere I wouldn't have naturally gone and teaches me something in the process.

I'll start by stating that I'm basing my comments on the basis of what I've seen and heard on 4 pre-release cuts, so my final opinion could change, but I'd pay the package price even if this was all there is. I also have a lot of homework to do as I know very few of the players on this project.

N.A.S.A is the brainchild collaboration of DJ's Sam Spiegel (Squeak E. Clean) via NY & Los Angeles, and Ze Gonzales (DJ Zegon) Sao Paulo, Brazil with guests including Tom Waits, Kool Keith, Karen O, , David Byrne, Chuck D and others. In addition to the music, there is collaboration with a mixed bag of visual artists, including OBEY/Obama artist Shepard Fairey, who provided 5 interchangeable CD covers and a video. There will also be a documentary on the making of the project.

With a brilliant border bending mix of rap, reggae, rock, techno, pop, funk and much more there's a lot here to get into. I've never been much on pure pop, rap, or techno. I have viewed these genres as interesting but limited in scope and development. But here these genres are melded into a wonderful gumbo that perfectly releases the flavor of each ingredient.

And, by the way - if you think policies of the recent past have left no imprint on public consciousness check out the video for 'Money' below.

I hope you'll check it out - I think its worth it !






ANTI - The Spirit Of Apollo Home - with music samples & Trailer link

Video - Money - Large HD Playback @ Youtube

Art - multi Cover Artwork


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home